Before starting in the kindergarten classroom, I moved over a lot of the materials I've accumulated and reorganized the classroom to meet my teaching style. Below are the before and after photos.
The significant changes I made to the classroom included:
(1) Moving the large block shelf in the middle of the room for a more spacious, open feel;
(2) Creating several interest areas, which I can change according to the needs of the week/day;
(3) Rotating the semi-circle tables so I can face the classroom during small group instruction times;
(4) Removing some of the extraneous items from the room (like the Dora kitchen set); and
(5) Moving the sensory table from the classroom entrance to a nook.
I left the wall postings, but I plan to slowly change these over. There is a lot going on in the whole group area on the wall. I'd like to create a more subdued space that directs the eye to what is most important in that area.
It was a lot of work, but I'm happy with the outcome and the class has responded well to the changes in the room.